Thursday, December 28, 2006

A Break from the Breakfast Brunch Buffet

Unlike Aunt Bessie, my parents are much more sympathetic to my compulsive overeating and have taken steps to alleviate my holiday food-related stress. Opting for a more healthy Christmas day brunch, my mother decided to forego our traditional breakfast biscuit and gravy buffet and instead cooked a small amount food and offered healthy options like veggies and fruits. The desserts were gone and so were all the starchy, high fat foods.

We had a small, and I mean small, prime rib roast, a small amount of broiled pork filet and sliced turkey breast. All of which only filled up three paper plates. We had veggies, fruits, and salad. That’s it. No desserts no dips, no high sugar foods. I don’t think anyone missed a thing. If they did, they didn’t say anything. Now my mother called everyone ahead of time and told them what she was doing and why. I didn’t know she did that until later, but I don’t mind. She told me that I didn’t have to worry about Christmas brunch and so I didn’t. She took care of it. I’m pretty open about my weight issues and don’t mind if people know.

Honestly, I didn’t feel like I was missing out at all. I had second helpings on the salad (and a touch of the meat) and then stopped. I did not feel the least bit cheated, I was not over full, and my gi tract was thankful that I didn’t eat biscuits and gravy. I love them, but they do not love me. Christmas at Mom and Dad’s house was nice and I didn’t overeat the entire time I was there. I ate healthy because there were only healthy choices available. The only desserts in the house were small, individual cups of ice cream (which I did not have nor want) and sugar free Klondike bars (of which I ate two over the course of four days.) Now that is love. It is that kind of support that will help me make it through my journey of a healthy lifestyle.

No comments: