Friday, December 15, 2006

What To Do; What To Do

The holiday buffets of butter are a compulsive overeater’s deathtrap. A food addict, especially a new one, just cannot handle or tolerate a smorgasbord of croissant-wrapped smokies, bacon greased green bean casserole, and pecan pie. Judas Priest!

I have several of these parties that I am obligated to go to during the holiday season. They are all the same hog trough of goodies and delights. Some things have changed this year. My family and friends are changing their parties to have more healthy food choices. Some are even getting rid of the buffet altogether. The truth is, I never thought anyone would change their traditions for me, so I never bothered asking. They took it upon themselves to make changes and to tell me about it ahead of time in order to relieve my stress.

My friends Paul and Linda are having a healthy vegetarian buffet.
My parents are discontinuing the famous breakfast buffet entirely.

Aunt Bessie is a different story. She is worried that we won’t have dressing and dips for her party. My parents and I talked to her about this party. I didn’t ask her to change her party, but I did say that I would not attend. It’s a daylong buffet event with all the traditional Christmas dinner and appetizers to boot. Here’s a sample menu:

  1. Turkey
  2. Ham
  3. Dressing
  4. Turkey gravy
  5. Mashed potatoes with cream
  6. Sweet potato casserole with glazed pecans
  7. Green beans
  8. Salad
  9. Corn
  10. Corn casserole
  11. Pecan Pie
  12. Pumpkin Pie
  13. Cheesecake
  14. Peanut brittle
  15. Sugar cookies
  16. Croissants
  17. Chips and salsa
  18. Crackers and cream cheese dip
  19. Vegetable dip
  20. Vegetables
  21. Nacho dip with chips

All of this food is out and about all day for a mere eight adults, one teenage girl, and three children. I think my Aunt Bessie is a bit obsessed with food. It’s been this way every year since before I was born. It is another tradition to take that food and make us take it home so we can continue to stuff our gullet. It’s just too much. So I told her that I could not attend these types of parties anymore. I offered to stay at my parents’ home and relax. I really don’t mind doing that. The idea of attending this event is terrifying to me. I have explained (and explained and explained) that these appetizers and other traditional foods are death to me. I literally eat all day long, even after I am stuffed to the gills. I just can’t help myself.

Well she’s decided that she will change her party, a very gracious thing to do. She will have turkey, salad and green beans. She even agreed to leave off the pies, cookies and dips. I couldn’t believe and I didn’t’ believe it. I know my Aunt Bessie and she will say one thing and then do another. That is proving true. She’s decided that we must have dressing and she let is slip that she already made the pecan pie and is making a cheesecake. The cheesecake you see will have Splenda in it and that I should just not eat the crust. Well, I can’t just not eat the crust. It doesn’t work that way for me. Then she announced that she is working on a healthy dip for me. If she were doing it for me, then she wouldn’t do it at all. She keeps saying that she is worried that we will not have enough food to eat. Mind you, no one wants that much food. They have said as much. It’s not really for us; it’s for Aunt Bessie.

We won’t just have turkey and salad and green beans. We will have croissants and pies and dressing and there will be cookies because Heaven knows that the kids need cookies. My Mother already told her that if she makes all that stuff, then it would be the last time Aunt Bessie gets to host the event. I have to say, I kind of like it when other folks stick up for me. It makes me feel loved. I do not like causing controversy with Aunt Bessie. She’s in her late 80’s and I don’t want to upset her, but her food – her love – is killing me and she refuses to stop. I wish all of this didn’t have to revolve around food so much. I wish we could just be together and enjoy one another’s company rather than the food. Company is love. I like that much better.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is too bad. Aunt Bessie is a sneaky one. It sounds like your parents have her number. I was hoping she would actually cooperate.

Anonymous said...

Your dedication to your health continues to be an inspiration, and WOW, I think it's awesome that you are able to write without censoring yourself even knowing that your family reads it all - what freedom!
Standing up for yourself by skipping day-long (and yet life-long) family traditions in favor of living a long and healthy life with your family...what a novel concept in this day and age of immedeiate gratification, it seriously brings tears to my eyes. Thank-you!