Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Academy Award Party

My wife and I love the Academy Awards and we have hosted an Oscar party for many years. With parties also comes food issues and I’ve been giving that a lot of thought: what to serve, how much, desserts, and the like.

I finally settled on vegetarian quesadillas. Two of our friends who are coming are vegetarians, so I always make sure, if I am serving meat, to include vegetarian substitutes of some sort. But that adds more food to the party and I want to keep things simple and stay focused on the Oscars rather than the food. So it’s an all vegetarian menu this year:

  • Quesadillas (onions, peppers, beans, cheese and whole wheat tortillas)
  • Homemade Guacamole
  • Spanish Rice
  • Fresh veggies
  • Fresh fruit
  • Angel Food cake
  • Hot herbal teas
It’s not very elegant I suppose, but the more elegance, the more I have to focus on the food and that should not be the point of a party. Typically my friends will bring food to the party, but I have told them that there is no need. First, I want to make it easy for them, but I also have an ulterior motive: I want to ensure that no unhealthy foods get in the mix, especially dessert. Parties can be very difficult for the food addict, so I am making this one as fun and fat free as possible.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was equally delicious and good for us. You were a wonderful host.