Monday, February 26, 2007

How To Host A Real Party

The Academy Awards went great last night. We had a nice dinner in the kitchen while we talked and filled out our Oscar ballots. Then we moved into the living room to watch the festivities, leaving the food in the other room. I wasn’t tempted much by the food as it was in the other room and I had my fill of quesadillas, veggies, fruit and angel food cake. No one seemed to mind the all vegetarian food, which was a healthy choice. I didn’t spend my evening in the kitchen working on food that doesn’t matter. I spent it with my friends.

That’s how a party should be. Not an affair that focuses on the food, but one that makes use of the friendships. The food does not add to the bonds; they do nothing to make the party better. All fancy food does is add to the expense of the party. We had fun, my friends and I, and we didn’t need food to boost anything. We spent time together laughing, discussing movies and watching YouTube videos and movie trailers during the commercials. I wish more parties could be like that.


No comments: