Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The First Thanksgiving

Every year we spend Thanksgiving Day with my wife’s family, which is thankfully not the typical engorging binge fest of the traditional type. Always a health conscience family, they instituted a turkey day change many years ago. It’s a wonderful day of family playfulness and Christmas tree decorating, and oh yeah, we have some food too.

A small pot of homemade beef vegetable soup, chili, turkey breast, cheese and crackers and fruit are the main ingredients. There isn’t much more than that. There is usually a pumpkin pie, but it stays hidden for most of the day. Something for which I am indeed thankful.

This year, the family called and asked us what they could do for me. That’s right, they asked. Unlike Aunt Bessie, who is more concerned with her preferences and traditions than anyone elses health, they offered to include or exclude any foods, including the pies. That makes all the difference in the world. I was okay with the pie. I probably shouldn’t be and in truth I probably should have asked if they might go without it, or at least to offer a sugar-free version, but I didn’t. I guess, deep down inside, I really wanted that pumpkin pie. I am concerned for my health, but I still powerless sometimes. I want the smorgasbord just like everyone else.

I did pretty well, except for the pie. There wasn’t stuffing and sweet taters and homemade bread and corn and all that other crap that does me in. That’s important to mentioned. I made changes. I didn’t gorge on all that nonsense. I ate soup and a few pieces of cheese and crackers, veggies and fruit. Pumpkin pie aside, that is still a big change and I celebrate that success. Could be better, but more importantly it could have been much worse. I could have chosen to … well you know.

I’m feeling pretty good about this holiday season, so far. It’s only just gotten started, but I am optimistic and ready to plan for it.

No comments: