Friday, November 10, 2006

It's Not All Success

Busy nights are always a deadly trap for me. We had parent-teacher conferences and didn’t have time to make supper beforehand as it started at 5:30 p.m. When we left, it was dark outside because of the end of daylight savings time and we were hungry. We decided to … celebrate our child’s excellent report card.

I still have a way to go in my search for healthy eating behaviors. It’s a long and treacherous road and some days are better than others. Last night was not such a good night. I had salad, soup and sushi, so that’s a pretty healthy choice. A much better choice than say a country staple (and personal favorite of mine) chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and gravy, corn and rolls.

The real issue is that fact that I used food as a celebration. Here I go, criticizing others for brining me food and always having elaborate parties centered around food and yet I run out and celebrate a good report card with food. That’s a problem for me and one paradigm that is some kind of hard habit to break.

It’s one thing to refuse to attend someone else’s party because it centers around food or has too much food just sitting on tables and crying out to be eaten and sit in the comforts of a warm belly. It’s another to tell yourself “no” when it’s your little party and you want to celebrate with dinner out.

Dinner out. That is the thing, isn’t it? Many of our cultural rituals center on eating. Some tell me that I just have to learn to deal with those parties because they are going to come up. Yeah, I don’t really like that answer. I think it’s a cop out and is only valid so long as I accept it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For me the key is to celebrate your successes and forget/forgive yourself for the "failures".

If you had a salad for lunch but a cheeseburger for dinner then pat yourself on the back for the salad and don't worry about the cheeseburger. You made a better choice than you would have made 6 months ago.

Healthy living is a life long process...take it one meal at a time :)