Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A Helpful Halloween

Halloween was my first Holiday since making my rules and changing my life, and I was nervous about it. We had a party to go to at the house of some friends from college. We tend to fix really nice meals and I was scared that I would eat myself stupid.

Didn’t happen. First of all, as soon as I got there our friend (and nurse practitioner) Kimmie came up to me and handed me a special package. It had sugar free chocolates and a pedometer. She smiled so sweetly and said that she had been reading this blog.

I was surprised. Not surprise that she would do such a thing, but I was just taken aback by the whole thing. I am used to how Aunt Bessie responds and tend to assume everyone will respond the same. This was the first party that we didn’t have tables of food. It was wonderful. We had a pot of soup, nuts, a few snacks (but not many) a few cupcakes, a mincemeat pie and a pile of apples.

I will say that I eyed that pie and those pretzels dipped in almond bark, but I didn’t do it. I had something sugar chocolates for me, soup and some apples. That was enough. I did it. I didn’t eat the pie; I didn’t even cut a sliver. I didn’t have a cupcake. I did enjoy a few nuts, but that was it.

It helped knowing that my friend cared enough to have something for me. I didn’t expect it and I didn’t ask for it. That’s the best part. She just did because she knew and as a medical practitioner she wants to see me succeed in my weight loss. It’s nice to have friends who care and who get it, or at least try to get it. This group does. These friends are very supportive. We encourage and stick up for each other, and genuinely love and care for one another.

A few days later, Halloween came by. I had three pieces of Halloween candy on that night, but that’s all. I didn’t beat myself up over it. I feel good that I didn’t eat a pound of Butterfingers. Interestingly enough, as soon as that night ended, the basket of goodies disappeared. My lovely wife hid them and then took them to work the next day.

My daughter’s candy is hidden in the house somewhere. I don’t ask and I don’t search. I don’t really think about it. I have my own snacks which I enjoy such as smoothies, gala apples, yogurt and some sugar free frozen treats in the freezer. A lot of folks don’t have a spouse that is supportive of weight loss. I’m lucky that I do. It was a good Halloween. One holiday down and two more to go. We have lots of parties this time of year: family, work, and other events. I still haven’t decided what to do about those.

No comments: