Saturday, October 21, 2006

Liver and Onions

I had my gallbladder surgery and it went very well. I couldn’t have asked for a smoother surgery. Right after my surgery the doctor came out and spoke to the family: my wife, parents, an aunt, my pastor and, of course Aunt Bessie.

He assured them the surgery went well and showed them the pictures of my gallbladder. As he did when I saw him for a surgery consult, he didn’t focus on the gallbladder at all. During our office visit he talked about my weight and asked me to consider weight loss surgery. During his after-surgery pow-wow with my family he discussed my terrible, fatty liver. That shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. I am fat and that’s not saying anything that the average Joe couldn’t deduce on his own.

He reiterated to them that I needed to get the weight off. According to him, if I lost 100 pounds then my diabetes would be cured and I would have no health problems. As one pointed out, I would also be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, enforce world peace and cure cancer. He’s a cutter and cutters like to cut. That’s what they do. They like to fix you. I’m not convinced at this point that weight loss surgery is all it’s cracked up to be. You have to stick to a strict dietary regiment. If I could do that, then I wouldn’t have an eating addiction in the first place. I am having a hard time figuring how weight loss surgery will fix that. At least that is today. Tomorrow I may be more in favor of it. I go back and forth.

The funny part is Aunt Bessie really wants me to lose weight. She loves to mention my eating habits at parties and in front of other people. Then she hands me a chicken fried steak and gravy, salad with sugar hidden in it, corn with salt and sugar, fresh baked rolls and a hunk of pie, which is really more akin to a quarter of a pie. She does all this with a smile and love and all the while being overweight herself. Food is love and I still need to do something about that fatty liver of mine.

No comments: