Sunday, March 25, 2007

24 Fig Newtons and 8 Biscuits Later

I mailed my bariatric surgery packet out yesterday. It was quite a bit of information to put down. They asked for all types of information, especially the number of diets I’ve been on in the past, weight lost, weight gained, and a two-day food diary. Now it’s just a matter of time before the surgeon’s office calls and schedules my first appointment.

Filling out the paper work isn’t so much fun, but it was a good exercise. I learned that there is another food that I just can’t have around the house, even if they are the whole wheat variety: Fig Newtons. I was fooling myself, thinking that because I was buying the whole wheat kind, that they were healthy. Healthier – maybe – but still not something that I need to eat. In that two-day period where I had to record my food intake, I had 24 of the little devils and seeing how they have sugar, I can not imagine that my doctor would approve. The nutritionist and behavior therapist at the bariatic clinic will not care for the fact that I also ate four biscuits for breakfast. I do not do well when I am home alone for Spring Break. It’s better not to have some things around during those times. I told my wife that my days of Fig Newtons are done and asked her to be sure and not buy them when she goes to the store. I won’t either. I will not tell you what else I ate, but I will say that it could have been much better.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Actually, I was having a slow day at work and came across your site when looking up information on FCBD.

That eventually took me to this blog about your exploration of bariatric surgery.

As a fellow comic geek and former big man, I just want to offer you encouragement. Surgery isn't a magic bullet...but it is a fantastic opportunity to grab a hold of an aspect of life that was out of control.

All the best.

D. Eric Carpenter

(a link to my history with bariatric surgery is below)

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/members/profile.php?N=C1088768862