Sunday, March 11, 2007

It's Time To Get Off The Pot

Come Monday I am going to initiate the bariatric surgery process. My diabetes is increasingly progressing and because of that my doctor started me on a one-daily insulin shot. That didn’t come as a shock exactly, but it was a powerful shot to the emotions. To move from oral medications to the dreaded I-word, the shot … insulin … is a big deal. It just sends a reality signal that diabetes is a progressive diagnosis and something must be done.

My friend Paul, who does not know about my insulin yet, called me this weekend right after I got my new prescription. He wants us to start a drastic workout regimen where we train for and run in a half marathon by November. I am 320 pounds and have never ran. I hate running, actually. So this is a big change. He used to run, but is now a BIG guy like me. This whole running business is not necessarily a bad idea in theory, but I’m not sure that running is the thing that we should be doing. It’s hard on the body -- the knees, the back – and as heavy as he and I both are, I just don’t see that as a viable option.

I hurt my ribs about a year ago in Karate and they haven’t healed back yet. Diabetics heal slower than other people. Running will surely aggravate that problem much more. I’m just now getting those pesky ribs to quit hurting as much as they used to and I don’t need any setbacks. Paul is pushing me pretty hard to get on board with this running scheme, his word not mine. Maybe in time, but right now it does not seem like such a good idea. I can’t even walk the treadmill right now with my ribs the way they are. I don’t really know how I can start running.

With the introduction of insulin injections, I have come to realize that my methods, such as they are, are not working. I can’t see the light and I don’t know what else to do. Tomorrow I am calling the surgery clinic and starting the application process. I sign up to attend the informational seminar and learn more about bariatric surgery: gastric bypass and the lap band. My cousin just had gastric bypass. She felt it a better route than the lap band. I am leaning the other way right now. The lap band is less invasive and is also reversible, making it a much more appealing alternative for me.

I’m pretty serious about this now. I am convinced that I need a radical intervention in my life and bariatric surgery seems the only way out. I have been considering this for a long time – maybe a year or so. I have gone back and forth about the surgery, wondering if I needed something this drastic. My mind is made now. I know what I need. I just need to go through the process and find a way to pay for it, be that insurance or private pay. I have decided to go through with this even if my insurance doesn’t pay for it. It’s got to be done and I am ready to make the move.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has proven a help for me

http://www.fatjewguy.com

Unknown said...

We are here to support you through this process. It is important to take care of yourself.