Monday, March 12, 2007

And He's Off …

The wheels are turning toward the weight loss surgery. I called the surgeon today, as promised, and registered for the bariatric surgery informational seminar. It’s this week, which is faster than I anticipated. It works out well though. We were planning on going out of town this weekend to see my parents. My sister et al from Tulsa were coming to the parental nest this weekend and we were going to join them. Still will, but we will be a bit later than expected. It will give us time to talk with my family about this.

Fortunately for me, my family – wife, mother, father, sister, and brother-in-law – are supportive of me seriously considering this option. Not pushing and not pulling, they are encouraging me to seek out as much information as possible and find routes that will help me lose weight in a positive. They aren’t too keen on burying me within the next 10 years. Me neither as far as that goes. My family has reservations too. They are nervous about the surgery and the side effects or complications that can arise. Me too. I think my wife is probably the most nervous and the most supportive all at one time. I think she will need her own set of support, as this will affect her just as much as it affects me. She will, after all, have to life with me after all of this is over. She needs all the good thoughts, positive energy and prayers that she can get to put up with me.

After my Saturday educational seminar, I can go to my parents’ home and talk with everyone about what I have learned. I think I’ve pretty much made my mind up already. I say “pretty much” but in my head I know this is what I want – have – to do. So it’s merely a procedural thing for me to go to the seminar. I am ready to make the plunge.

1 comment:

Melting Mama said...

Congrats on taking the first steps. It's a bumpity ride.